Gold is a precious and valuable possession that requires proper storage to maintain its beauty and value. Whether you’re storing jewellry or are wondering how to store gold bars), many of the best tips are similar to bronze and silver.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to safely store your fine gold jewelry.
Clean your jewelry before storing Before storing your fine gold jewellery, make sure it’s clean and free of any dirt or debris that can cause damage. Even sweat can change the colour of the pieces. You can clean your gold jewellery at home by following these simple steps:
• Create a cleaning solution by mixing a small amount of dish soap in warm water
• Brush your jewellery gently with a soft-bristled brush or a lint-free cloth. A soft toothbrush will do
• Rinse the jewelry thoroughly in a bowl of lukewarm to hot water
• Towel dry with a soft cloth, such as a microfiber cloth so that your jewellery does not get scratched, or air dry using a hairdryer
The cleaning frequency relies upon how often it is worn and what you do while wearing your jewellery.
Storing your jewelry Store your fine gold jewellery, such as gold chains, pendants, earrings and rings in a jewellery box or pouch that is specifically designed for storing jewellery. Choose a box or pouch that is lined with soft fabric or velvet to protect your jewellery from scratches and other damages. Ideally, jewellery should be stored in its original bag or box as these often have special properties to suit the piece
Here are the five best methods to store jewellery:
• Do not use display racks or plastic bags. To ensure your jewellery remains secure and in tip-top condition, you need to store it properly in lock-enabled storage. Don’t store jewellery in plastic bags. Plastic can trap moisture which can damage some metals. In addition, some plastics may contain chemicals that can damage the surface of some fine metals.
• Invest in good jewellery boxes. Jewellery boxes are tailor-made for storing fine jewellery. They usually have a soft lining and compartments especially made for various items. Safety deposit boxes are also a popular option for storing metals like gold.
• Store your boxes with chalk or silica gel packets. If you want extra protection for your jewellery pieces, or if your jewellery box isn’t the most airtight, chalk or silica gel packets will absorb the moisture and help keep the box cool and dry.
• Use Ziploc bags for on-the-go storage to help preserve the polish for a longer time. You can also use a travel jewellery organizer. It is a handy tool that has multiple compartments so you can separate and organize your items.
• Separate your jewellery by metal. Gold is quite malleable. This means it’s easy to damage or scratch gold jewellery items. Use a separate box or pouch for each piece of jewellery to prevent them from scratching or tangling with each other.
Store your jewelry in a cool, dry place Gold should be stored in an area that is protected against high humidity and fluctuating temperatures. Exposure to heat and moisture can damage precious metals and stones. Store your jewellery in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight and humidity. Avoid storing your jewellery in a bathroom or any other area where moisture levels are high. Keep your jewellery box or pouch in a drawer or on a shelf, away from any heat sources or places where it can be knocked over or damaged.
Consider adding anti-tarnish strips Although this applies more to silver than gold, if you plan on storing your fine gold jewellery for an extended period, consider adding anti-tarnish strips to your jewellery box or pouch. These strips help prevent tarnishing and discolouration caused by oxidation, keeping your jewellery looking shiny and new for longer.
Insure your jewellry Finally, consider insuring your fine gold jewellery to protect it from loss or theft.
By following these simple steps, you can safely store your fine gold jewellry and keep it looking beautiful for years to come.